Author Topic: Engine Mounts (Isolators)  (Read 6973 times)

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
Engine Mounts (Isolators)
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »
   I have only had my EH a couple of days now, but I'm pretty sure it needs front mounts. I can feel the engine transmit vibration a lot at idle, and on deceleration at low engine rpms. It shakes the whole bike at times, and I've learned to compensate by applying a little throttle to smooth it out. Does this sound like front mounts to you guys? I don't see as much movement from the rear area, so I think the rears are ok.
   I also remember reading on line somewhere that if the drive belt is too tight, it can cause the mounts to break. What is the spec on the drive belt tightness?
   Thanks in advance for any input on this subject.
Mike

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
  • What goes around, comes around
    • Grandpa Grumpy Pants X world        youtube
Re: Engine Mounts (Isolators)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
bike to bike.... they're each a tad bit different for vibes..  ... but the norm is they shake at bit at idle.
One quick way to tell if the mounts are going... is the chrome cap will show rust in where it sits. The other is to pull it.... the rubber will be a mess and stretched, with no memory in it.  Put a floor jack under it (watch where you put it).... and lift just enough to take the weight off the mounts.

the belt tightness as a rule of thumb..... sit on the bike, and have someone with average finger strength.... twist it 90 degrees. If they can't, its too tight.  Myself.... I tighten it the first time so loose that it jumps sprocket.... then tighten about 4 more turns. Its sags... but I never have any trouble with it. And 525 is pushing 27k miles now....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:13:38 AM »
Hi Bruce,
   Great, that confirms my suspicions. My belt is way too tight, and I can see I will need mounts.
  Mike

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »
Bruce,
  Loosened the belt a tad, replaced the front mounts. One was torn, and there was metal on metal contact visible. It's a lot smoother now.
  BTW, I did speak to Bobby Baldwin on the phone finally. Great guy, lots of info. He didn't remember 741 specifically, but asked me about certain visible modifications on the bike to confirm the full modification "Package" they offered had been done. I can ride assured I won't overheat, or have my trans lock up! I need to plan a trip to his shop, he custom made a 4 cylinder prototype "Henderson" for Dan Hanlon. I guess this was to be the next model after the Super X.
   Another tidbit you might want to share with other EH owners: The headlamp bezel is the same as the one used on the 2005 and 2006 Victory Vegas. These are available from Polaris dealers for about $150 (No, they are not gold plated even though the price may lead you to believe that). The part number is 5246789.
   Mike

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
I saw the Baldwin autocycle in person when Bobby unveiled it at Sturgis. Very cool bike. I don't know that he ever sold any, as he was going to build them by order..... hp option:175hp.... all out of a little neon engine, but it didn't look like a neon, as Bobby had added a bunch to it.

I heard about the bezel a while back and forgot... thanx...

the tail lites are now on the last series Indians. I don't know if Victory is gonna keep that tail lite. Also the hand controls (lites, turn signals, etc) are also identical to the X's, except they are chromed, on the Indians.

you get down to the nitty gritty, there are a lot of cross over parts on these X's....

I used to deal a lot of purchases with Bobby back in his X days. He's a good joe......
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »
Also if you really do some searching.... Bobby also built the "sledgewood". It was a custom chopped X. A beautiful machine. When Bobby sold all his parts, to John Jones (minn.), he sold the sledgewood to him.
In turn he sold the sledgewood to Phil Ward. And Phil I heard restored it, back up to new condition. No body better of an owner than Phil... glad to hear he got it.

Search for "sledgewood" on your favorite search engine. If you can't find it, let me know... I'll send a pix to you....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »
Bruce,
   No, Google and Yahoo couldn't find "Sledgewood". It kept giving me articles about wood splitters, sledge hammers and sleds. Please do post a picture of the bike!
   And while I was searching, I happened across an article about my baby, 741! Check it out: http://www.superxowners.com/history/pdf/Randy_King_741.pdf
   Randy kept it in great condition, and it still gets the looks, even from the hard-core Harley lovers.
Mike

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
not very good at this computer stuff....
been trying to send you the picture, plus one of Baldwin autocycle....
but I can't get it to attach.....
no I'm not a brain surgeon....
toss me your email address...
mine is.... wytfut@windstream.net
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline JoeT343

• XH Rider X
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
Mike,
You might also want to check your rear mounts and shaft, I had a vibration issue on #343 and found the rear shaft had broken, p/u a replacement from Baldwin for around $40+ shipping, my 2 cents.
Joe T

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
thanx Joe... your 2 cents is probably worth a lot more than that...
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator