Author Topic: Triple Tree  (Read 2947 times)

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
Triple Tree
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
Bruce,
  You mentioned to another EH newby something about the checking the triple tree. I have not seen that one on the internet yet, what is the issue with it? Thanks,
Mike

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
  • What goes around, comes around
    • Grandpa Grumpy Pants X world        youtube
Re: Triple Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Mike,
You'll have to do a lil looking on the www, but the details are out there. Believe superxowners site... and  a section on there, with Bobby Baldwin... will give detailed instructions.

I've done it on 4 bikes now.... and messed on up (nothing drastic, just a bit overinthusiatic, and compressed the bearings too tight... had to replace the bearings.

The issue, was that the torque on the main stem nut from the factory wasn't hi enough. Every bike I've dealth with this, had a riding issue, at certain speeds. Mine (525) ... when coasting below 25mph, you couldn't let go of the handle bars.... or they'd go nuts. If you held on to them, you really didn't notice anything. Another bike (omaha bike)..... did it on exceration around 35mph.

in basic..... you take apart the top of the triple tree. Take off the top double nut, and replace it with a spacer, or grind out the threads on that top nut. Then tighten the bottom one to around 80#'s if I remember. Then the acorn nut on the top will hold the nut, and away you go.

If you want to know how to do it, directly from me.... lemme kno... I'll give you detailed instructions, step by step.

Bruce
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator