Author Topic: HELP- EH STARTING PROBLEM  (Read 4236 times)

weiss06

HELP- EH STARTING PROBLEM
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
I have encountered this problem twice.  I turn on the power to the bike, everything is running, I hit the start button and everything goes dead.  I go to the battery and diconnect the positive and negative lead.  After I reconnect the positive and negative lead, I can turn the power back on and hit the start button and it starts.  This has happened twice this month, it has always started after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.  Anyone have any suggestions.

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
  • What goes around, comes around
    • Grandpa Grumpy Pants X world        youtube
Re: HELP- EH STARTING PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
sounds like your "tilt" switch is gunked up. Run a patch wire across the leads, and see how it goes.
With any miles or weather, from what I hear, its common. They are a simple engineered device. Its under the ECU cover, in front of the rear tire. I've ran across a couple of those tilt switches that were really gunked up
OR,
Could possibly be the other ends of your battery cables. The ground from the factory goes straight into the top of the engine casing, behind the faux oil tank. Most of the X's on assembly, had a lot of loc-tite put on that very bolt, the battery grounds to. Take it out, and run a wire brush on it, to clean the threads. If you got one, use a thread cleaner where the bolt goes.
AND,
One of your relays could be going bad. There are 3 of them behind the faux oil tank cover, on the battery inside wall.  Most parts houses carry them, and they are not terrible in price. Take one with you, so they can look at it. As the prong patterns do change up a bit vehicle to vehicle. It'd really help if you had a schematic, so you'd know what you're looking at. Down load it.... and print it off.

Give those a shot.... come on back with your results... If I can't answer, I know who to find out from. good luck
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

weiss06

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll be cleaning both ends of those battery cables first and see if that solves the problem.  If that doesn't work on to steps 2 and 3.  If all else fails, lets see how good that progressive roadside assistance really is the next time (hopefully not) I break down away from home.

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »
Kind of a weird deal... I hope what I thru at you helps out... gotta keep these bikes on the road, to fun to let them sit in the garage...
Bruce
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

weiss06

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:54 PM »
I just trailered the two harleys down to Daytona Beach last week for winter riding.  I'm back in the Black Hills of SD for the next two months with only my excelsior henderson and perfect riding weather.  It won't spend much time in the garage.

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
did you get it figured out?
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Jumper

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 07:30:43 PM »
Remember... Sometimes the pos. cable will break under the rubber and not make connection all the time... Keep an eye out for that as well...
Jumper