Author Topic: Repainting  (Read 11677 times)

Offline mharrold

• XH Rider XXX
Repainting
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
I "plan" to repaint #459 this winter and use EH paint codes but in a black/white (oyster) color combo that was never offered from the factory. Have a few questions...
What is the consensus for keeping the factory rivets on fenders?
Do I need to strip the old tank liner before installing new?
Which tank liner is recommended?
Rhino line the inside of the fenders? I hit the occasional gravel road and that front fender takes a beating from the inside-out.
Am I hurting the value? Original paint is in OK shape but has a ton of scratches/swirl marks and is the boring black with red stripe. Some jackass previous owner installed fender fringe flaps so there are extra holes that need to be filled.
1999 Super X #459
2001 Buell Blast (wife's)
1981 Honda CM400C
1948 Harley S-125

Offline mharrold

• XH Rider XXX
Re: Repainting
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »
Nevermind about value. #459 is never leaving so what do I care?!
1999 Super X #459
1981 Honda CM400C
1948 Harley S-125

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
  • What goes around, comes around
    • Grandpa Grumpy Pants X world        youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »
Some where I think I've seen someone with that color combo already. And I'm pretty sure one of the "mock up" or test bikes was black/white....
As for OEM paint.... just a forwarning.... those color codes from PPG, are upper end colors that there are no Xover numbers to any other paint companies. They are considered "international" colors, and they are really expensive. 1 pint is gonna run your around 85 bux.
What painting I've done on X's, I've a good friend who works at one of the paint stores around here..... and he can mix anything. Has a great eye for it.....
And our OEM Black, is just black.... any paint company would have. It isn't anything special mixed.
Side note.... got an email yesterday that told of someone on the left coast is building a "Whitewood", and had all the tin powder coated.
Heard and seen quite a few X's now with the rivets ground off, or the brackest "tigged" onto the sheet metal. Really smooths up the look, and with the heavy layer of clear from the factory, some of the X's got rivet chips real early..... as for my consensus.... I like the look of removing the heads, nice and smooth.
I don't know your expense account, but here's an example from where I come from. Best buddy here in the flat lands bought a R/O. And his son is a custom painter. I told him not to paint his tin, and that if were going to do it, I'd buy the tin from him. Most of my reasoning was that the R/O are my favorite colors. He fell for it, and bought an extra set of tin. Which in turn his son painted.... very nice. If you want to go this way... lemme kno, I maybe able to find a source for another set of tin.... will be a bit pricey.
I don't know your painting skills, but take a good look at your tin. If those scuffs and scratches are not into the base coat, you'd be very surprised with what a coat of clear would do for it. Scuff, and spray.....
I've never removed an existing tank liner, but I'd think that would be the way to go, as the existing one if peeling would just keep going, and your work/money/time would be wasted. Not sure how to do that, but maybe there is a chemical way. Other wise, I personally would try a hand full of large washers, with a solvent. Anytime I'd go into my shop, I'd pick it up and shake it around for a while, probably take a while, but it'd eventually work. I'm in the process of restoring a Norton, and used this product: http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ARK-01  and very happy with it so far. And you could ask around to all these "liner" companies, they may also have an idea on how to remove an OEM liner.
Box spray liner materials are tough stuff. It wouldn't hurt nothing to coat those fenders. And would take away the cringe sound when the rocks fly thru....
As for valuation on our bikes as an investment, and just my 2 cents. Its way too early. My thoughts are the X's are not going to gain in value for quite a while yet. But with the current prices on ALL used motorcycles, and the current economy..... if I had money to burn, I'd be buying any X I could get my hands on for that "down the road" investment. But I'd probably wouldn't be around long enough to enjoy the profit.
Boy am I long winded at times....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline mharrold

• XH Rider XXX
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »
I've seen the black/white combo too. Looks awesome. Haven't seen it on the registry though.
My budget is becoming more and more limited since my wife decided to leave her job so painting up different tins would be cost prohibitive. I don't care too much if mine is 100% original since it already has several upgrades that are not factory and are not easily changed.
Painting will be done by a friend of mine who is a certified (or whatever) body shop person/paint guy.
I considered just doing a sand, spray, buff but since I have more than one scratch that is into the primer, a repaint is needed. Also one of the previous owner A-Holes put HD fender fringe on both the front and rear. Removing those has left holes that need to be addressed.
Has anyone seen any usable early (1918-1931) model tank badges for sale? I've found a local guy that can recreate whatever you want but I'm a sucker for original. I own 2 sets of Henderson emblems but they are completely unusable. Cool artifacts more than anything else.
1999 Super X #459
1981 Honda CM400C
1948 Harley S-125

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
  • What goes around, comes around
    • Grandpa Grumpy Pants X world        youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »
I contacted Berlin Bob, a member of this site. Within the last month or so, he had some excellent looking vintage vinyl tank decals made up....
I'm pretty sure it was him that had these, as they were on ebay....
If he doesn't respond to your post or my email... let me know....
Bruce
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Jumper

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
Dave Lockhart had some Henderson decals made up. Contact him. He put some on E-Bay a while back.
Jumper

Offline mharrold

• XH Rider XXX
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me if this paint scheme had pin stripping between the colors? I think I see a red line but I could be imagining it.
1999 Super X #459
1981 Honda CM400C
1948 Harley S-125

Offline AZSUPERX

• Noobie EH Owner
  • XH Rider XXXX
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »
I don't see any red pin striping ???
Chuck

Offline Jumper

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »
Here is a picture of an X from Mn. with a B/W scheme...BAA!! Can't get it to load, too big.. I'll post it on a yahoo board... Maybe the For Sale board..
Jumper

Offline Jumper

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:14:31 AM »
I have two pictures of a B/W X, Give me an e-mail address and I'll forward them to you. Files too big for here. I put one on the For Sale board..
Jumper

Offline mharrold

• XH Rider XXX
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
Linked image from yahoo page and sent you a pm with email address.

1999 Super X #459
1981 Honda CM400C
1948 Harley S-125

Offline Jumper

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »
Oh... I just sent you an e-mail with these two pictures in it.
Jumper