Author Topic: ECM  (Read 6797 times)

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
ECM
« on: October 15, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
Does anyone know the cut off VIN for the change from ECM  type A to type B?
  Mike

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
  • What goes around, comes around
    • Grandpa Grumpy Pants X world        youtube
Re: ECM
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:56:41 AM »
Lemme ask around....
I know it was during '99 production....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »
Jamie Jones replied that it was before July '99.... and said he get more details with some research...
He also stated that he never distinguishes between the 2 as they both work the same with the tune....

I'm doing a lil bit of research myself here, as I had heard something different.... and I'll post what ever I find .....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Traveller

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXX
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »
To be clear..., I said I have not noticed the B model ECU on any bikes through July 99'. I'll continue to research it.
Jamie

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »
Thanx Jamie.....

Buddy here in Nebraxi.... was buying one from Terry... and that's where my memory came from. Terry made a bit of an issue about his purchase... and if he wanted an A or a B.....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
It's not needed right now, I just saw them on eBay for a good price and thought it might be prudent to get a back up while the price is right.

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
could be a smart purchase..... who knows what time will bring....
Terry was selling those on ebay.... and so I went to his site... it says he's shut down for a bit, but will be back up and going again.... I'm guessing he just took some time off....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
Bruce,
  Would there be a designation on the old module somewhere, a sticker perhaps?

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »
I believe there is.... but to be truthful.... I don't remember, as when I was in the area, I don't remember looking it over.....
I know kinda a weak... but the best I got..... If Jamie comes back with more info.... he'll know for sure....
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline Traveller

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXX
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
I checked the A against the B and the labels are different and easily distinguishable between the two. The B label adds the X and Bar.
The difference might refer to the tune originally loaded into the ECU. The A being the 8303 original tune and the B referring to the later 8320 tune introduced in June of 99', both have been replaced by the 8352 SuperXtune which works the same in either ECU. 

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
thanx Jamie for the details.... !!!
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator

Offline 2CoolWheels

• EH Fanatic
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
Thanks Jamie and Bruce,
   If I understand it correctly, the actual hardware is the same, and only the software load is different between the two versions. Now I guess I need to find out what version is loaded in mine. The previous owner said that Bobby Baldwin did all the upgrades to the bike, but I don't want to assume it is the 8352. Is there a way to find out? Thanks,
  Mike

Offline wytfut

• XHRC Rider Moderator
  • XH Rider XXXXX
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
If Bobby loaded your ecm.... I'm just going to have to assume that it was his tune off of "tuneboy".... its a good tune, in fact quite a bit better than OEM....
But it is not diagnosable .... as in you can't do any troubleshooting per the program thru a computer. In other words, it is a good program and tune, but it is limited compared to the SuperXtune).
AND I don't believe Bobby is even selling that product anymore, so you won't be able to get a password for it. Tune Boy was developed off of the Triumph tune package as our bikes have some electrical Sagem products, as do the triumphs.
I'd recommend, to give Bobby a call (which I think you have in the past if I remember correctly).... let him know your VIN, (in the past he had kept records of the bikes he worked on), and see if he has any CD's left from Tuneboy, and the passwords. That way, if funds are limited, and your ECU developes a glitch, you can reflash your ECM to that program again if you want.
Now I'm just stating what I know here from what you have given...... and I'm not trying to knock one product from another. Bobby's tune program was a god send to us owners when it came out, as it eliminated all of our common running issues.
If your X is running fine at the moment, its no concern. But down the road you may wish to purchase the SuperXtune, as it is newer, and quite a bit more refined. I personally have yet to learn how to use the superxtune, as I use my oldest son to fire it up. He understands computers much better than I. I do now have a better computer in my shop, that will handle the superxtune, so my next step (especially on this New Mexico X I have in my shop) is to learn how to use the program.
In the past, I'd just take the X's over to my son's home (6 blocks away), and have him to his "thing". And I'd listen to his results. ...
I need to state up front, without doing some research, I'm not all sure which tune is 8352?

OR you could just bypass Bobby, and just go ahead and purchase the superXtune. I'm giving you options here, as I don't know what funding you have.... myself, funds can be very limited at times.
Bruce
EH Rider X Moderator